If you’ve lived in your place for more than a year, guaranteed you have things in your place that need to be trashed, donated or sold. Guaranteed. I’m a self described “sentimental hoarder” who randomly yet equally LOVES a good purge so I regularly try to find spots in my home to clean out. This bathroom cabinet post last year really motivated me. The key is to make it quick; have you ever walked over to a drawer only to find yourself surrounded by a decade of memories and three hours that have evaporated from your life? LOL, been therre.
TRY THIS TIP: to most efficiently purge any zone, take everything out instead of pulling items out one by one. You’ll automatically get rid of so much more if it means putting things back, rather than pulling pieces out. Pinky promise.
OK, you smart and savvy lady, make it a mission to clean out each of these spots in February:
- Night stand: do you really need all those receipts you’re randomly saving? Do those lipsticks belong there? What about that random change?
- Kitchen junk drawer: the landfill of your home, really. Toss those insanely old menus, expired coupons, ghetto old pens, and anything else you haven’t touched in 6 months.
- Underwear and socks drawer: OMG, best feeling ever to toss those undies that are too small, ill fitting, old or whatever, and the socks with no matches. Peace out.
- PJs and workout clothes: another area I just purged and then neatly folded. You seriously don’t need all those old tees.
- Kids closet: These adorable little terrors grow SO quickly! I usually take two bags and sort: one to donate, and one to pass along to friends. Ok, and I keep a few sentimental items. Look through all the footwear, too.
- Office drawers: another landfill, either at your home or office. What’s in there, and what do you actually grab for that’s not? Update now.
- Entry table (or wherever your “landing pad” is): extra sheets of paper, keys, mail you need to sort… edit, toss or handle it.
- Guest room: Make sure it’s prepped and ready the next time you have guests… or your husband has a “man cold.” You know what I mean.
- Your car: grab a dust buster, a garbage bag and a catch-all… bring things in your home, toss random crap and then give it a quick clean. Bonus points if you take a baby wipe or papertowel and wipe down your steering wheel and the related areas; think about how germy that gets.
- Your purse! A friend of mine told me she’d clean out and then use a dust buster in her Louis Vuitton neverful every Saturday morning. I giggled, and then thought… YES! Where do those little crumbs and dust bunnies come from? Take 15 min to empty your purse & wallet, and then wipe it down inside and out.
Ready for more organization happiness? Check out the Modern Savvy “organization obsessed” Pinterest board!